Super Protein Uttapam/Dosa - Your Versatile Dosa Delight!
Dosa lovers, get ready for a treat that will satisfy all your dosa cravings! This Super Protein Dosa batter is incredibly versatile, allowing you to create dosas to your liking - whether you prefer them soft, crispy, or the best of both worlds - crispy yet fluffy! You can even use this batter to make delightful Uttappams. This recipe doesn't need any rice.
Let's get started:
- 2 cups Urad Dal
- 1.5 cups Moong Dal
- Water (for soaking and grinding)
- 1 tsp Salt
- Ghee or Sesame Oil (for greasing the skillet)
- Shredded Carrots and Beets (optional, for topping)
Rinse and Soak:
- Rinse the Urad Dal and Moong Dal thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, combine the dals and cover them with water. Let them soak for about 8 hours.
Blend the Batter:
- After soaking, strain away the water from the dal and transfer the soaked dal to a grinding jar.
- Add 3 cups of fresh water to the jar and blend until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl and cover it with a lid.
- Allow the batter to ferment for 8-10 hours in a dark place. You can keep it in the turned-off oven, which works well for fermentation.
- After 8-10 hours, open the lid to find your batter raised and well-fermented.
- Add 1 tsp of salt and mix the batter thoroughly.
Cook the Dosas:
- Heat an iron skillet on medium heat and grease it with ghee or sesame oil.
- For crispy dosas, pour a ladle full of batter onto the hot skillet and spread it thinly. For uttappams, keep the batter thick.
- Optionally, you can add some shredded carrots and beets on top for extra nutrition and a colorful touch.
- Drizzle 1 tsp of ghee on top of the dosa.
- Flip the dosa after 2-3 minutes and cook it on both sides until golden brown and crisp.
Serve and Repeat:
- Once cooked, lift the dosa from the pan and serve it hot with your favorite chutney or sambar.(recipe below)
- Repeat the process as needed to make more dosas to enjoy with family and friends.
Servings: 4 people Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
Enjoy the goodness of this Super Protein Uttappam/Dosa, and let your taste buds indulge in the wonderful world of dosas! Don't hesitate to get creative with toppings and fillings to suit your preferences.
Perfect accompaniment to your Super Protein Uttappam Dosa, look no further than this luscious Sweet Potato Beet Sambar. Creamy, dreamy, slightly tangy, and just the right amount of spiciness, this sambar will elevate your meal to a whole new level. Let's dive into the recipe:
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup beetroot, peeled and chopped
- 3 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 Kashmiri lal mirch (dried red chili) for mild spiciness, adjust to your taste
- 1 tsp white peppercorns (for a mild heat, adjust as desired)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- Salt to taste
Boil the Ingredients:
- In a medium-large pot, combine the sweet potato, beetroot, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, Kashmiri lal mirch, white peppercorns, and shredded coconut.
- Add 4 cups of water to the pot, cover with a lid, and bring it to a boil on medium heat.
Blend the Sambar:
- After the mixture has boiled for 10 minutes, turn off the heat and add the tamarind pulp.
- Allow the mixture to cool down, and once cooled, blend it until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Pour the blended sambar back into the pot.
Adjust Consistency and Seasoning:
- Add 2 more cups of water to the blended sambar to achieve your desired consistency.
- Stir in 1.5 teaspoons of salt (adjust to taste) and bring the sambar to a gentle boil. Let it simmer on low heat for an additional 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
Prepare the Tempering:
- In a separate small pot, add 1.5 tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil.
- Once the ghee or oil is hot, add mustard seeds and wait until they start to crackle and pop.
Add Tempering and Garnish:
- Carefully pour the hot tempering into the sambar, which will infuse the dish with delightful flavors.
- Garnish the Sweet Potato Beet Sambar with freshly chopped cilantro, adding a touch of freshness and aroma.
Your Sweet Potato Beet Sambar is now ready to be served alongside the Super Protein Uttappam Dosa, creating a delightful and wholesome meal that combines rich flavors and nutritious goodness. The creamy texture and well-balanced taste of this sambar will undoubtedly leave you wanting more!
Enjoy this culinary masterpiece, and savor the unique blend of sweet potatoes, beets, and spices that make this sambar an unforgettable treat.
Sweet Potato Beet Sambar is truly a masterpiece inspired by the wisdom of Ayurveda, promoting a harmonious balance of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas. Each ingredient in this dish has specific qualities that contribute to overall well-being and support digestive health.
Moong Dal: Being tridoshic, Moong Dal is suitable for all body types and provides a good source of plant-based protein. It is light and easy to digest, making it an excellent choice to maintain balance in the body.
Urad Dal: Urad Dal is known for its nourishing and grounding properties, which helps pacify Vata dosha.Sweet potato adds richness and creaminess to the sambar, providing a comforting and satisfying texture.
Spices and Tamarind: The blend of spices, including coriander seeds, cumin seeds, Kashmiri lal mirch, and white peppercorns, not only enhances the flavor but also aids digestion. Tamarind, with its tangy taste, acts as a digestive aid, promoting better assimilation of nutrients.
Beetroot and Sweet Potato: Both beetroot and sweet potatoes are packed with essential minerals and vitamins, contributing to the overall nutritional value of the sambar. They are a great source of fiber, promoting good digestion and a healthy gut.
This Ayurvedic-inspired sambar not only delights the taste buds but also nourishes the body with a balanced combination of ingredients that support overall well-being. By incorporating these elements, you have created a dish that not only satisfies the palate but also enhances the body's natural harmony and balance.
Enjoy the incredible health benefits and delicious flavors of this Sweet Potato Beet Sambar, and let it become a staple in your culinary journey to well-being. Do leave us a comment on how you liked the recipe or have questions about the recipe.
With Ayurvedic wellness in mind,